Monday, May 9, 2016

Make your own heroes (some assembly required)

Sorry there's been not much activity here. I am still working on this game, but I haven't had much chance lately to play too much. I am still working on this game with some new ideas for units and mauvers. Particularly, maneuvers for archers and duel-wielders.

I'm trying to build up my plastic figures, buying them and painting them up, and then adding cards for them. Plastic is much easier to test-play with than the paper ones (though I remembered a good fix to the problem of paper figures falling over - my old foreign coin collection!).

I've been playing some of the overwatch open beta, and it made me think more, that is the sort of feel i'm going to have this: small scale with big, interesting to use powers. Obviously, the fewer units on the board, the more those few units need to be able to do with more choices each.

Though the characters in overwatch are static, and another example of the feel would be TF2 which had various weapons for each class, but it fit well into the role of what that class did.

For example, you might have Onion Knight (22 Points, 12 HP, +0 Speed, 2 Range, 2 Damage) with Knight's Defense (2 points. When an ally in 2 range is attacked, before the attack you may switch places with the ally and become the target) and be purely defensive, using the shield to stop damage and aggro manage.

Or you could use something like Shield Bash (Lets you add attack instead of Defense from a shield). and  Charge!  (which adds attack if you charged at least 6 squares to the target) and slam the shield into enemies faces!

Another example would be the Two-weapon fighter (14 Points, 8 HP, +2 Speed, 2 Range, 2 Damage.)
They get an abillity like shield, except it already can add either attack or defense. With  Dervish (which lets her turn and attack an additional time another target in the same turn) and dervish defense (which lets her once a turn rotate to face an enemy that's attacking, such as from the back) you can spin and attack even when flanked.

Or that same unit might use Second Sword which lets her spend an attack bonus from the off-hand sword and deals a little damage, even if  she misses!

I'm going to have "slots" for a few maneuvers, and likely Dervish and Second Sword will occupy the same slot. I'll want to do this for two reasons, for balance and to make players have to choose between different strategies. I find that in the games I play the right amount of restrictions helps make the game interesting.  (be it "mana types" such as in Magic: the gathering, or the upgrade slots such as in X-Wing miniatures game).

 I'm still trying iron down some basic ideas of factions, and what they will do. One faction I have an idea for is a garden-based faction that primarily does ground-based effects, such as laying traps and obstacles, but as I said, this is something I'm working on but is secondary to the main physics.

 I want the game to be playable and fun as a historicalish (i.e. no magic or monsters) skirmish game. with just  human-sized units (2x2 squares, or ~25mm)  with the different weapon load-out combinations. As I mentioned, this game was partially inspired by foam sword fighting, which, at least in my chapter is non-magical and more historical.

I'm hoping to play it again in a few weeks with friends who hadn't played it yet. so I'm working on double checking the wording of my cards and printing out the new cards I'll need by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment